I did all of the installations from scratch in a virtual conda environment. Then I tried to run R script from within javascript in the following way:

let shCMD = 'Rscript --vanilla R/full_analysis.R ';
  shCMD += '--diff_1 ' + diff_str_1 + '--diff_2 ' + diff_str_2;
  shCMD += '--markers ' + filterStr + '--markers-highlighted ' + colorStr;
  shCMD += '--datasets ' + datasetStr;

  console.log('constructed command for full analysis: ');
  console.log(shCMD);
  shell.exec('source activate rmain', function(env_code, env_stdout, 
env_stderr) {
    console.log('activated rmain environment')
    if (env_code === 0) {
      shell.exec(shCMD, function(code, stdout, stderr) {

As can be seen I am activating the environment by source activate rmain and I am pretty sure that the next shell command that invokes R script runs in that environment because R script needs argparse package and it is installed only in the rmain virtual environment: in rmain argparse package is successfully imported, but outside of it it gives an error for the argparse absence.

So, now the following line in the R script:

sce <- SingleCellExperiment(list(counts=as.matrix(data[,-1])))

gives me the error:

Error in `rownames<-`(`*tmp*`, value = c("0610007P14Rik", "0610009B22Rik",  : 
  invalid rownames length
Calls: SingleCellExperiment ... elementMetadata -> .local -> rownames<- -> rownames<-
Execution halted

However, if I launch Rstudio from within the rmain environment, the line runs successfully... So, I am puzzled now on what is going on.

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.