This is a tough one I think: is there a publicly available, up-to-date, free, complete database for antibiotics names and classes?
I am specifically looking for information like, e.g.,
cefpirome (is a) cephalosporin.
I've looked in a couple of different places, but nothing really comes close. E.g.:
- CARD comes closest, but is not free (companies need to pay a license) and not complete/up-to-date (e.g., cefpirome is missing)
- @Karel mentioned KEGG in his answer, but this also needs a license (companies for sure, academics if they download data via FTP).
- Novel Antiobiotics Database has no class ... and stops in 2003
- A suggestion by @Pierre on Twitter was to try Antimicrobial stubs on Wikipedia. Good idea, but the class is not stored in the ChemBox and must be free-text parsed. Or writing a script which evaluates the Wikipedia category tags.
- I drew blank at different government agencies (EMA, FDA, EFSA, NIH, etc.). The closest I found was from the WHO a list of critically important antibiotics. But not complete, and in a PDF.
Any pointer appreciated.